8 Things You Must Do to Launch a Fashion Brand
It takes more than just sewing and cutting to create a clothing brand. It takes business acumen as well as marketing knowledge to start and run a successful clothing brand. This is how to create your fashion brand.
- ConceptWhen you start to think about business ideas for your clothing line, consider the basics: who are your customers, what type of clothing you would like to make and how you want your clothes communicate. Haute couture is a different style than streetwear. There are many fashion brands available, so look for a niche in the industry and add your unique perspective. As a key element of brand identity, think about a business name.
- Business model What type of clothing company would you like to start? Most fashion designers create a private label. This means that they design every aspect of a garment, from pattern making to fabric selection to the final piece. They then put their brand name on it. Private labels must find a manufacturer to make their clothing. Designers can create their own imagery or buy ready-made casual wear clothing from a wholesaler. This will do the screen printing as well as fulfill orders directly to the consumer. This is called print-on-demand.
- Business Plan: All business owners need to create a plan that outlines a company statement, product descriptions, financial projections, market analysis, and financial forecasts. Our guide will show you how to create a business plan.
- Budget: Make a budget for your small business. Start calculating numbers, from the cost of fabric to wages to production costs. Calculate how much money is needed to cover expenses. You can approach angel investors to raise capital or create a crowdfunding site. If you don’t have this funding, it is time to consider the price point of your brand.
- Manufacturer: Before you start your clothing business, find a clothing producer who is experienced in making the garments you are designing. To see examples of their work, meet with multiple manufacturers. Visit the manufacturer during your production run if you are starting your collection. Look for local companies or budget to travel to visit them.
- Marketing plan This is what will connect you brand with your customers. A great fashion photographer can style and capture your collection. The modern consumer is tech-savvy. Therefore, in addition to traditional marketing and word-of mouth, you can create an online strategy for reaching potential customers. You should have social media accounts for your company and be connected with influencers in order to promote your brand to them.
- Sales Plan: When you are developing your fashion brand decide where to sell your clothes. What is your target audience’s shopping habits? There are many options in today’s marketplace. There are many options for selling your clothes. You can sell it in your local boutique, online or through an ecommerce platform such as Shopify. Or you could work with an established retailer that has an online presence and brick-and-mortar stores.
- An amazing team: There’s a lot to consider when starting a fashion company. Find the right partner to manage the business side of your brand if you are a designer. You will need a team of talented people who are skilled in different areas, including great writers who can help you create and implement your marketing strategy.